West Points

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Business Plan Challenge - Week 1

by Heather Gurewitz
Women's Business Center Director for West Company

This week marks the first week of West Company's Business Plan Writer's Group. 10 women, 6 weeks, 9 plans being written simultaneously. A challenge for who? The women in the group? Me the facilitator? Both.  I love the Writer's Group.  I love helping people actually move their plans forward in a supportive and fun environment.  Unfortunately it is also my job to sometimes be the whip-cracker and our two volunteers from Soroptimists of Fort Bragg (our financial sponsor for the program)  were  both down with the nasty flu and unable to attend.  The biggest challenge for me: making sure everyone had what they needed and knew what they were supposed to be doing.  The biggest challenge for the participants: getting started.  I saw a lot of analysis paralysis and found myself saying over and over again "just get started, you can always change it later, if you don't know what to write, skip it and move to something that you do know. You can always go back." This is good advice for anyone writing a plan. Just remember, one drop starts the waterfall! Biggest Accomplishment for the night: Everyone who attended got something written, including me!

No comments:

Post a Comment